This is a fail-proof way to cook a turkey. The bird comes out golden on the outside and juicy on the inside.
- 1 organic, grass fed turkey
- 1/2 lb butter
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram leaves
- 1/2 tsp crushed rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Rinse the turkey inside and out and then pat dry, stuff (if desired), and truss.
- Cut a piece of cheesecloth to a length that will cover the turkey, and unfold to a single thickness.
- Melt ½ lb of butter in a small saucepan and add the dried sage, thyme, marjoram and rosemary.
- Place cheesecloth in the pan and completely saturate. (You can also brush skin with herb olive oil and baste every 15 minutes.)
- Place turkey in oven and reduce heat to 325ºF.
- After 15 minutes, drape butter-soaked cheesecloth over the turkey so that it is completely covered.
- After an hour, baste the turkey every 15 minutes or so, to keep the cheesecloth moist (you can use leftover butter as well).
- Remove the cheesecloth for the last 30 minutes of cooking time for crisp skin.
- Allow the turkey to sit for at least 20 minutes before carving.